BIENNIAL QUAD-STATE PROSPECTUS
- Exhibition Details: This exciting exhibition is a collection of the best artwork currently produced in the Quad State area: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and Missouri. The opening reception will be held on Saturday, May 18 from 7- 9pm with the awards presentation at 7:30pm.
Awards: There is $4,650 available for cash awards: Best of Show will receive $1,500, Second place $750, Third place $500, two Merit Awards $350, four Honorable Mention Awards at $200 each, one 3-D Recognition $200, and one Recognition of a Local Artist living within a 50 mile radius of Quincy, IL at $200.
- Eligibility: Any artist, 18 years of age or older living in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, & Missouri and working in any medium may enter. All works must be original and must have been completed by the artist within the last 3 years, 2016 through 2019. Work must not have previously been exhibited with the Quincy Art Center or its satellite exhibit spaces. The Art Center president and executive director and their families may not enter this exhibit.
Entry: Images must be entered online at www.OnlineJuriedShows.com. CD images and emailed images to the Art Center will not be accepted. If you need help uploading your images, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 949-287-8645. For best results, make sure your image is 1920 pixels @72 dpi on the longest side. Images should be in JPEG format, RGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. An Entrepreneurial Artist Workshop: Online Juried Art Competitions, free with complimentary lunch, will be held at the Art Center Saturday, January 26th 10am – 2pm. This workshop will cover the Biennial Quad State criteria and will explore editing digital images to meet application requirements. Contact the Art Center to RSVP for this workshop.
- Fees: Individual artists may submit 3 works with a $35 entry fee for current Art Center members and a $40 entry fee for non-members. Up to 2 additional artworks may be entered for $10 each. A maximum of three artworks can be accepted by the judge from each artist. Collaborative artwork will not be accepted. All entries must be completed by 5pm on Monday, April 1 in order to be judged.
- Juror: John Schuerman, self-taught artist and independent curator, of Minneapolis, MN is the sole juror. The juror will select accepted artworks online and will travel to the Art Center to select award winners in person.
- Lunch with the Juror: All artists and sponsors of the exhibit are invited to join our juror, John Schuerman, for a BYOL (Bring Your Own Lunch) luncheon at the Art Center at noon on Monday May 13, 2019.
- Notification: On April 19, the accepted artist list will be posted at www.quincyartcenter.org. Also, an email of the accepted artist list will be emailed to all individuals that entered. An email address must be provided for notification purposes. During the judge’s final on-site judging, previously accepted work that was not accurately depicted in the digital image(s) used for entry may be rejected.
- Specifications: Each artist may submit up to three works. Work must be no larger than six feet in any direction. Any work requiring special assembly must have detailed instructions accompanying the piece. Complex installations must be installed by the artist prior to the final on-site judging. Work that is shipped must be framed with Plexiglas instead of glass.
- Liability & Insurance: Indicate the insurance value of all entered works, including those not for sale. The Art Center will provide insurance on all works while they are at the Art Center. The Art Center will not assume liability for loss or damage during transit to and from the Art Center; artists are encouraged to secure their own insurance during transit. The Art Center will not be responsible for works unclaimed after Saturday, July 6, 2019.
- Publicity: The Art Center reserves the right to photograph all exhibited works and use these photographs for catalog, educational, and publicity purposes. Accepted artists will receive two full color printed brochures.
- Sales: The Art Center will retain 30% of the sale price of each artwork sold. Sale prices must reflect this commission. Sale prices and insurance value must be the same. Entries marked Not For Sale must indicate an insurance value.
- Shipping & Receiving of Accepted Work: Artists are responsible for transit of accepted artwork to and from the Art Center. Work accepted for exhibition must be received at the Art Center by Monday, May 6 at 4pm. The Curatorial Staff of the Art Center will make every effort to handle your artwork with the utmost care, safety, and professionalism. To make special arrangements outside of the designated times for drop off and pick up of artwork please contact the Art Center.
- Shipping Instructions: Artwork that is shipped must arrive in ready-to-install condition, in a reusable container via U.S. Postal Service, UPS, or FedEx. A prepaid return shipping label must be sent in the reusable container with the artwork or in a separate envelope. The Art Center will not be held responsible for damages during shipping to and from the Art Center. Artist are encouraged to purchase shipping insurance. Shipments must be planned to arrive by Monday, May 6 at 4 pm at the latest. Artworks with prepaid shipping labels will be shipped from the Art Center by July 6, 2019.
- Hand-delivered Artwork will be accepted at the Art Center:
Friday, May 3, 4 – 5:30pm | Saturday, May 4, 9am – 4pm | Monday, May 6, 9am – 4pm
- Pick-Up of Artwork at the Art Center:
Saturday, June 29, 4 – 5:30pm | Monday, July 1, 9am – 4pm | Tuesday, July 2, 9am – 4pm
Accepted works may not be withdrawn prior to the close of the exhibition.
- Biennial Quad-State Prospectus PDF
BIENNIAL QUAD-STATE PROSPECTUS CALENDAR
Monday, April 1 Deadline for digital submission
Friday, April 19 Notification and Posting of Judge’s Selections
Monday, May 6 Deadline for accepted works to be received at the Art Center
Saturday, May 18 Opening Reception 7-9 p.m. | Awards Ceremony at 7:30 p.m.
July 2 Deadline for Artwork Pick Up
July 6 Artworks with prepaid shipping labels will be shipped from the Art Center
2017 Biennial Quad-State Exhibit Award Winners
Best of Show-$1,500 to Gary Beaumont of Champaign, IL for Pulsar Planet, hanging earthenware platter
Second Place- $750 to Peggy Wyman of Macomb, IL for Enigma, fiber & pine needle sculpture
Third Place-$500 to Ann Miller Titus of Quincy, IL for Untended, fiber
Merit Award-$350 to Brian Roberts of Pella, IA for Nucleus, steel
Merit Award-$350 to Howard Kuo of Hannibal, MO for Don't Slam My Door, watercolor
Honorable Mention-$200 to Sara Slee Brown of Iowa City, IA for Eamon Alan Diner, mixed media
Honorable Mention-$200 Leslie Hirshfield of Evanston, IL for The Magician, mixed media
Honorable Mention-$200 to Elizabeth Rankin of Quincy, IL for Puzzled, ceramic, painted found objects
Honorable Mention-$200 to Lee Stanton of Rolling Meadows, IL for I'm Not The Girl I Used To Be, Acrylic
Local Recognition - $200 to Cherie Sampson of Canton, MO for Enticing the Tide, video (performance for the camera)
3-D Recognition - $200 Leah deMatta of St Louis, MO for Dynamic Equilibrium, steel