44th Annual High School Student Art Competition
Friday, January 26 through Thursday, March 2, 2018.
- Download the 2018 HS entry form
- Download the 2018 HS Prospectus
- Download the 2018 HS Teacher Art Prospectus
Artwork Drop-Off Dates
Thursday, January 11 | 4 - 5:30 pm
Friday, January 12 | 9 am - 5:30 pm
Saturday, January 13 | 9 am - 4 pm
*All accepted artwork will be posted on the QAC website, quincyartcenter.org on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 by 5 pm.
Non-Accepted Artwork Pick Up Dates
Thursday, January 18 | 9 am - 5:30 pm
Saturday, January 20 | 9 am - 4 pm
Accepted Artwork Pick Up Dates
Friday, March 2 │ 4 - 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 3│ 9 am - 4 pm
Monday, March 5 | 9 am - 5:30 pm
All awards will be presented at the discretion of the judge. Criteria for awards include originality and quality. Award winners will also be invited to co-curate the following summer’s Permanent Collection Exhibition at the Quincy Art Center.
$500 Best of Show
$300 2nd Place
$150 3rd Place
$100 Merit Award (2)
$50 Great River Watercolor Society Award (2), *can be combined with other awards
$50 Honorable Mention Award (3)
$25 Quincy Artist Guild Award (3)
- One Incoming Student Scholarship and Prospective Student Visit Package - a $500 scholarship for one student, contingent upon being accepted to Truman State University and declaring an Art major. This award comes with a visit package as described below.
- Two additional Prospective Student Visit Packages - The visit package will include a general campus tour, tour of the Art Department, and hands on art workshop with a faculty member. Award includes mileage expenses and lunch on campus for the student and a guest. This visit will need to be coordinated with the Art Department office. Award funds will be sent by mail after the student has completed their visit.
University of Illinois
- Scholarship to the FAA Summer Intensive Camp at the University of Illinois. The Best of Show will receive this scholarship. For a week, the student will live in a dorm, attend major and minor art classes, travel the campus, and create art!
Students grades 9-12 from schools within a fifty-mile radius of Quincy, Illinois are eligible. Works will be judged for inclusion in the exhibit, and those accepted for display must meet the following criteria:
Students may enter up to 3 works for $10. All artwork must be original. No copies of copyrighted imagery are allowed. All two-dimensional artwork be suitably framed, and ready for exhibition with a secure wire fastened to the back. Sawtooth or plate hangers are not preferred. White matting is preferred. No damaged mats. Three-dimensional and two-dimensional artwork cannot be over 6 feet in any one direction. Artwork requiring a digital presentation must come with its own viewing device.The following materials used as hanging devices will not be accepted: Packing tape, scotch tape, epoxy/glue, string/yarn, and pipe cleaners.
Student artists are able to price and sell their artwork to the public. The Quincy Art Center will retain a 30% commission that will support the programs of the Art Center.
Sales prices must reflect this commission.
Martin Brief, Associate Professor of Studio Art at Saint Louis University in St. Louis, MO.
43rd Annual High School Student Art Competition Award Winners
Best of Show-$500 to Felix Hammock of Quincy Senior High, 9
for Nude Beach, acrylic
Second Place-$300 to Brainne Shaffer of Unity High School, 11 for Four Seasons,
Third Place-$100 to Madeline Estepp of Quincy Senior High, 12 for Willow,
aluminum wire, and glass beads
Merit Award-$100 to Abby White of Logan Private Studio, 10 for Mapped Bird,
ink on old map
Merit Award-$100 to Jordyn Hamm of Hannibal High School, 12 for Haunted,
lino cut print
Honorable Mention Award-$50 to Andrew Koblas of Hamilton High School, 11 for
Tsuki, pen and ink
Honorable Mention Award-$50 to Payton Williams Liberty High School, 10 for Mother Mallard,
Honorable Mention Award-$50 to Echo Dunton of Highland High School, 11 for Self Portait by Holes, altered white paper
Great River Water Color Society Award-$50 to Wyatt Watkins of Pittsfield High School, 10 for Lakeside Aura, markers, water, sharpie
Great River Water Color Society Award-$50 to Zayne Gaus of Highland High School, 10 for
Self-Portrait, gouache paint
Quincy Artist Guild Award -$25 to John Quinn of Quincy Notre Dame, 12 for Self- Portrait,
Quincy Artist Guild Award -$25 to Tahj Tasco of Highland High School, 10 for Lady Bug Zentangle, black ink
Quincy Artist Guild Award -$25 to Gage Yinger of Hamilton High School, 12 for Paisley,
pen and ink